Do you struggle with anxiety? If so, you’re definitely not alone. Millions of people struggle with anxiety that ranges from mild to severe, which can be generalized or situational. It is also often dependent on one’s current life circumstances, such as when going through a breakup or divorce.
Not being able to get a handle on your anxiety can unfortunately create even more of it. It can feel as though you have no choice but to suffer. In addition to seeking support from a breakup coach or a therapist, it is important to focus on self-care. One of the most effective forms of self-care is attending regular massage therapy treatments, ideally by a RMT (Registered Massage Therapist).
How massage therapy helps relieve anxiety:
- Relieves muscle tension
- Reduction of physical pain
- Lowers the stress hormone cortisol
- Activates the pregenual anterior cingulate cortex, which is the part of the brain where you experience happy feelings
In addition to massage therapy, what are some other things you can do to help manage your anxiety?
- Consistent exercise is crucial for confidence and a positive outlook
- Meditation and breathing exercises
- Choose water, fresh juices, and herbal tea instead of alcohol and caffeine
- Get physiotherapy for ailments, including yoga therapy
- Quit smoking
- Get adequate sleep! (Most people need 7 to 8 hours, on average, to feel energized and to be able to think clearly)
- Surround yourself with inspiring, genuine, and self-motivated people
- Get things done vs. procrastinating
- If something doesn’t bring you joy, remove it from your life